Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wiki, Wiki, Wikis...

I'd heard about Wikis before but have never really looked into them so this has been a good opportunity to find out more. I can see how Wikis can be a very useful tool in getting people's knowledge and ideas out there and also the fact that information can be quickly updated. Of course, anyone reading the Wiki would need to appreciate that it is subjective and check other sources if necessary.

I loved the Book Lovers Wiki and think NSL could offer our patrons something similar. The Wiki was really well set out, easy to use and each title had a link to the catalogue so patrons could check availability. I can also see NSL using a Wiki for staff manuals and training documents - I found some other libraries have used and was impressed. I seem to think you can set editing restrictions which would be needed for this type of thing (?).

No comments: